Learning to surf can be an exciting venture provided you have the right surfboard for beginners. Generally, beginner surfers will have difficulty knowing where to stand, how to stand, and how to keep their balance; therefore, they may require a surfboard with a length of 7′ or more for ease of usability.
As a beginner, you may also opt for a surfboard comprised of lighter materials, which helps make it easy to float as well as transport. Some boards also include a quality grip pad on top, which helps prevent surfers from falling off. In the event you do fall off the board, you may also consider purchasing a board with a leash, which will allow you to stay attached to the board if you wipe out.
To help you find the best beginner surfboard, we have put together this list of best selling long surfboards, which were chosen according to length, materials, accessories, budget, and user’s opinion.
10. Surftech Revelation HD-E Surfboard, 9′
Note: The Surftech Revelation surfboard is currently unavailable. Until it gets back in stock, you might want to take a look at a similar option from Wavestorm, which is also 9ft long.
The Surftech Revelation HD-E Surfboard, 9′ redefines longboard performance with a modernly designed board, which features a flat core with contoured edges and double hollow tail, to deliver a fast and smooth ride.
Why We Chose the Surftech Revelation HD-E Surfboard
- 9′ length perfect for beginners.
- Waterproof fused cell EPS core.
- Includes 2+1 fin.
9. Greco Surf 8′ Foamboard Long Surfboard
Note: This soft top from Greco Surf is currently unavailable. Until it gets back in stock, you might want to take a look at a similar option from A ALPENFLOW. This 8ft foamboard features a top and bottom made of fiberglass, a HDPE reinforced plastic bottom, and a XPE deck cover protective skin.
The Surf 8′ Performance Soft Top Foamboard Long Surfboard Foam Surfboard Longboard Funboard by Greco surf is round edge surfboard designed using Greco Surf Respired Technology, which includes double hollow materials, 6 oz top and bottom internal epoxy core, high-density IXPE deck, and HDPE reinforced plastic bottom. It also includes a high-end leash, built in rail saver, built-in key compartment fins, and a three fin setup.
Why We Chose the Greco Surf 8′ Foamboard Long Surfboard
- 8′ length perfect for novices.
- 6 ounce epoxy core good for catching waves and easy transport.
- Includes 8′ leash.
- 3 thruster 4″ fins included and one 9″ 4th fin for single configuration or 2+1 set up.
8. Empire Ehukai Soft Surfboard
The Empire Ehukai Soft Surfboard 7′ includes 4 stringers, high-quality EPS foam, a surf leash, and tri-fin system, which is everything you need to get started on the waves.
Why We Chose the Empire Ehukai Soft Surboard
- 7′ feet length suitable for beginners.
- High-density, waterproof EPS core.
- Includes a surf leash.
- Includes a tri-fin system.
7. Scott Burke 7’6″ Surfboard Package
The Scott Burke 7’6″ Surfboard Package features a 7’6″ heat laminated board with high-density IXPE/xpe deck and HDPE slick bottom. It also includes 3 multi-layered laminated wood stringers, a tri-fin system, and surf leash with precision molded fittings.
Why We Chose the Scott Burke 7’6″ Surfboard Package
- 7’6″ length perfect for beginners.
- Heat laminated, high-density IXPE/xpe deck and HDPE slick bottom.
- Surf leash with precision molded fittings and padded ankle straps.
- Tri-fin system with nylon screws.
6. California Company Board CBC Slasher 8′ Surfboard
The California Company Board CBC Slasher 8′ Surfboard features a lightweight EPS core, an HDPE deck, and HD polyethylene slick bottom for a resistant free riding surface to enhance maneuverability and speed. It also includes a tri fins system and padded leash.
Why We Chose the CBC Slasher Surfboard
- 8′ length perfect for first-time surfers.
- EPS waterproof core.
- HDPE deck.
- HD polyethylene slick bottom.
- Includes tri-fin system.
- Includes PU padded leash.
5. Liquid Shredder FSE Soft Surfboard
The Liquid Shredder FSE Soft Surfboard is specially constructed for beginners. It’s 9′ length makes it easy to ride, and it also has a soft top comprised of giving materials, which provide an anti-slip texture when wet. It also includes a polypropylene slick bottom and one fiberglass and two wooden stringers for added durability and stiffness.
Why We Chose the Liquid Shredder FSE Soft Surfboard
- Designed especially for beginners.
- The 9′ length allows easy maneuverability.
- Soft expanded polyethelynge top provides anti grip texture when wet.
- Super fast, polypropylene slick bottom adds durability.
- Removable fins.
- Available in different colors, including red, blue, and yellow.
4. Wave Bandit Ben Gravy Pro EZ Rider Surfboard 8’0
The Wave Bandit Ben Gravy Pro EZ Rider Surfboard 8’0 is an oval-shaped surfboard that is just perfect for beginners. It contains an EPS core, double maple wood stringers, and an HDPE slick bottom for easy maneuverability.
Why We Chose the EZ Rider Surfboard
- 8′ length provides easy manueverability for beginners.
- Eps core makes it easy to float and transport.
- 4.5″ tri-fin set up.
3. Bic Sport Dura-Tec Surfboard
The Bic Sport Dura-Tec Surfboard is a modern shaped board crafted using durable Dura-Tec construction. Its modern shape is just suitable for various conditions, and its polyurethane foam inner core provides ample floatation to catch all types of waves.
Why We Chose the Dura-Tec Surfboard
- Available in various sizes, including 5’10”, 6’7″, 7’3″, and 7’9″ for riders of various levels and sizes.
- Dura-Tec construction resists denting.
- Integrated 3D traction pad for easy grip.
- Shape enables down-the-line for beginners.
- Available in a wide range of colors, including white/red, white/orange, white/pink, and white/blue.
- Can also be used for stand up paddleboarding.
2. Gold Coast Surfboards Soft Top Surfboard
The Gold Coast Surfboards SBBC 8′ Soft Top Surfboard is an 8′ long, 23″ wide, 3″ thick surfboard that easily supports beginners up to 200 pounds. It features a diamond weave high-density polyethylene slick bottom, expanded polyethylene Closed Cell Foam Core, and a fingerprint IXPE foam board top textured deck for extra grip.
Why We Chose the Soft Top Surfboard
- 8 ft length offers ease of maneuverability.
- Lightweight construction makes it easy to transport and catch waves.
- Includes rounded out beginner user nose/tail rocker.
- Includes 8 ft surfboard leash.
- Available in various colors, including blue, orange, green, and gray.
1. Wavestorm 8′ Surfboard, Brushed Graphic
The Wavestorm 8′ Surfboard is one of the best-selling beginning surfboards available. It is an 8′ long, 22 1/2″, 3 1/4 thick, 86 liter volume, blue pinstriped graphics classic surfboard. The surfboard features a durable expanded polystyrene foam core with 3 marine-ply stringers and a strong EBS IXL protective water barrier top deck coating with textured grip. The product also includes a high-density polyethylene slick bottom, which maintains the core rocker and allows for quick snap back.
Why We Chose the Brushed Graphic Surfboard
- 8′ length allows for easy stance and maneuverability.
- Lightweight material makes it easy to transport and ride waves.
- Includes removable ankle leash.
- Includes traction pad for stable footing.
- Also includes a removable bolt thru thruster fin set to control the drag.
Other great stuff: You may also be interested in trying one of the best longboards on the market. They’re perfect for novices such as yourself because they are easy to maneuver!
We are confident that you will find the best beginner surfboard in any one of the surfboards listed, and we even included a couple of modern surfboard designs for the more daring at heart, provided you’re willing to pay a bit more.
After trying a surfboard from the list, please feel free to share your thoughts on the chosen product, or if you would like to recommend a surfboard that we did not mention that you think beginner surfers would appreciate, then feel free to do so.