The hybrid surfboard blends multiple design concepts into one board, such as the ever-popular fish board fused with a high performance board, which provides a sturdy and swift performance like a fish, easy paddling, and the maneuverability of a high performance board, for the ultimate performance board just perfect for surfers looking to get more out of their board or to take their surfing skills to the next level.
In fact, a hybrid board can even replace your shortboard for surfing head-high waves. It’s also suitable for average to below average surf heights as well as hard-breaking waves, which can help keep you on the water for extended periods.
Just about every surfboard offers various features, similar to a hybrid board; however, hybrid surfboards have a unique shape as well as various other features that allow for improved performance, which this list of the 10 best hybrid surfboards, which were selected based on rating, features, and usability, will highlight.
10. Connelly Bentley Wake Surf Board
The Connelly Bentley Wake Surf board is a skim/surf hybrid board, which features a lengthy side-cut and tapered tail for increased action. It is also made of durable handcrafted epoxy and a CNC diamond-cut EVA pad with kicktail for added traction.
Why We Chose the Bentley Wake Surf Board:
- Narrow cut with tapered tail for increased performance
- Comprised of handcrafted epoxy for durability
- CNC diamond cut EVA pad with kicktail for added grip
- Twin fin set up for various conditions
These are the best hybrid surfboards for surfers seeking a durable, good looking board with unique features.
9. Connelly Tsunami Wake Surf Board 57″
The Connelly Tsunami Wake Surf Board 57″ is a surf/skim hybrid board that is comprised of long-lasting compression molding construction, which is handmade in the USA, with a double edge rail and 3 single tip tail fins for a performance board that can do it all.
Why We Chose the Connelly Tsunami Wake Surf Board 57″:
- Surf/skim hybrid board
- Double edge rail for easy wave gripping
- Includes 3 tail fins with single tip fin for doing 180’s and 360’s
These are the best hybrid surfboards for both beginner and seasoned wake surfers who are looking for a sporty board that is designed to meet the challenges.
8. Surftech Channel Islands High 5 Surfboard
The Surftech Channel Islands High 5 Surfboard is available in various lengths from 5’5″ to 5’11”. It features durable Tuftlite Pro Carbon construction, which includes GreenPoxy resin, 2x fiberglass layers, carbon stringers, a fused cell EPS core, and a hybrid nose for maximum performance.
Why We Chose the Surftech Channel Islands High 5 Surfboard:
- Tuftlite Pro carbon design for added durability
- Medium exit rocker and relaxed entry rocker
- Hybrid nose for added performance
This are the best hybrid surfboards for all levels of surfers seeking a forgiving board with a little performance combined. However, it is recommended that you purchase a board about 3″ to 5″ shorter than your height for maximum enjoyment.
7. Surftech Sharp Eye Modern 2 Fusion Surfboard
The Surftech Sharp Eye Modern 2 Fusion Surfboard is available in various lengths, including 5’4″, 5’6″, 5’8″, and more for various surfers. It features durable Fusion E2 construction and a pointed nose and swallow tail for maximum performance and return on less powerful waves. It also features a thruster fin set up for added control and stability.
Why We Chose the Surftech Sharp Eye Modern 2 Fusion Surfboard:
- Available in various sizes
- Swallow tail and pointed nose for added performance
- Fusion E2 construction for added durability
- Includes thruster fin set up
These are the best hybrid surfboards for beginner surfers or advanced surfers seeking an everyday board for ripping small to chest-high waves.
6. Progressive Boards Soft Top Epoxy Hybrid Surfboard Longboards
The Progressive Boards Soft Top Epoxy Hybrid Surfboard Longboard is uniquely designed with hardboard construction as the base, an EPS foam core, and an EVA foam pad covering the rails and deck for added comfort and grip.
Why We Chose the Progressive Boards Soft Top Epoxy Hybrid Surfboard Longboards:
- Design offers hardboard performance with soft top protection
- Lightweight EPS Core for added performance
- Epoxy fiberglass bottom for
These are the best hybrid surfboards for beginners for all sizes who are seeking a durable, long lasting surfboard with a soft top.
5. NSP Elements Hybrid Short Surfboard
The NSP Elements Hybrid Short Surfboard is a 6’2″ x 20 3/4″ x 2 5/8″ hybrid surfboard, which was uniquely designed for fast performance and paddling power with a versatile shape, durable Elements construction, and waterproof EPS foam core.
Why We Chose the NSP Elements Hybrid Short Surfboard:
- Versatile design for high performance and paddling
- Water resistant EPS core
- Includes 3 fin FCS set up
These are the best hybrid surfboards for surfers of all levels who prefer a top-rated board with patented construction.
4. Liquid Shredder Element 6’4″ Fish Hybrid Surfboard
The Liquid Shredder Element 6’4″ is a 6ft 4in x 21.8in x 2.4in soft vinyl skin hybrid surfboard, which features a wide fish shape and low rocker for fast and stable shredding. It also features an advanced aluminum stringer system for a light but durable board.
Why We Chose the Liquid Shredder Element 6’4″ Fish Hybrid Surfboard:
- Fun fish shape for added performance
- Soft vinyl exterior
- Patented dual aluminum stringers for added strength
- Removable twin fins
These are the best hybrid surfboards for experienced surfers up to 80 pounds and novice surfers who prefer a fun-shaped board with increased performance.
3. Liquid Shredder Element Hybrid Soft Surfboard 6’4″
The Liquid Shredder Element Hybrid Soft Surfboard is a 6’4″ x 20″ x 2.4″ board that features a fun hybrid shape for meeting various challenges. It also features a patented soft vinyl exterior, a dual aluminum stringer for added durability, and a removable three fin thruster set up for various conditions.
Why We Chose the Liquid Shredder Element Hybrid Soft Surfboard 6’4″:
- Nose and tail shape allows for fun on the water
- Patented dual aluminum stringer for added support
- Removable three fin thruster set up
- Includes a foot leash
These are the best hybrid surfboards for experienced surfers up to 120 pounds who are looking for a durable board with quality features.
2. SBBC 5’8″ Mahi Fun Performance Hybrid Foam Surfboard
The SBBC 5’8″ is a 68″ x 21″ x 2.75″ fish shaped surfboard, which features everything you need to experience increased performance on the water, including a fishtail for stable but loose surfing, a slight nose/tail rocker for easy floating the high line, and a quad-fin box set up for various conditions.
Why We Chose the SBBC 5’8″ Mahi Fun Performance Hybrid Foam Surfboard:
- Traditional Mahi fish shape for a lively time on the water
- EPS closed cell foam core for easy floating
- Bamboo strengthened bottom deck for added strength
- Beam wood stringers for added strength
- Slight nose/tail rocker for making smooth, extended turns
- FCS quad-fin box set up
- Includes surfboard leash
These are the best hybrid surfboards for all surfers up to 200 pounds who are seeking an energetic time on the water.
1. SBBC 6’8″ Soft Top Fun Performance Hybrid Foam Surfboard
The SBBC 6’8″ Soft Top Fun Performance Hybrid Foam Surfboard is an 80″ x 21″ x 2.75″ soft top hybrid foam board, which features an oblong style with a wide shape and swallow tail for easily catching, carving, and cruising the waves. It also features FCS fins and FCS fin boxes for various actions.
Why We Chose the SBBC 6’8″ Soft Top Fun Performance Hybrid Foam Surfboard:
- Rounded noses, widened chest area, and swallow tail for maximum performance
- Slight nose/tail rocker for fast and fluid surfing
- Beam wooden stringers for added durability
- Bamboo strengthened bottom deck for added strength
- High-density EPS closed cell foam core for easy floating
- FCS fins and FCS fin boxes for added performance
- Includes surf leash
These are the best hybrid surfboards for surfers up to 220 pounds who are seeking a hybrid board with all the perks.
Recommended read: Don’t go before you read about the best waxes on the market for your surfboard. This is an essential item you can’t go without.
Hybrid surfboards allow you to experience the waves from just about every aspect for hours of fun on the water, which means they are just perfect for intermediate to advanced surfers seeking the ultimate thrill. Though you can purchase a hybrid board as part of your board collection, you may find that it’s the only shortboard you need for facing various conditions.
If you are interested in purchasing a hybrid surfboard, simply begin your search with one of the best hybrid surfboards listed, or if you know of another hybrid board that yields impressive results, feel free to share your comments.