Skimboards are similar to typical surfboards except they are shorter in length and do not contain fins. They are also typically used to glide across the top of the water to meet an incoming wave and ride it back to shore as opposed to capturing more vigorous waves like surfboards.
Skimboards can also be used to glide across the sand or shallow water, such as at the shore of the beach or a river or a lake that is not very deep.
[amazon box=”B07DBC58C4,B01FJ42EVE,B00WT2BWW2,B072JTR4SG,B074S8RL47″ items=”5″ template=”table”]
There are different skimboards to select from; however, for some of the top skimboards as rated by fellow skimboard enthusiasts, check out the following list of the 10 best skimboards arranged by rating, materials, design, and usability.
10. Victoria Skimboards Woody XL
[amazon box=”B001RRTSVC” template=”horizontal”]
The Victoria Skimboards Woody XL is an oversized wood skimboard that was uniquely designed for entry-level skimboarding. It also has a high gloss coating to prevent premature wear and tear and a low rocker, which makes it great for riding flatlands as well as the shoreline.
Why We Chose the Victoria Skimboards Woody XL:
- Durable wood skimboard with high-gloss finish
- Low rocker makes it great for riding flatlands and the shoreline
- Also perfect for beginners
These are the best skimboards for entry level surfers from 180 to 220 pounds looking to explore the flatlands and shorelines via a durable, slightly heavier board.
9. Zap Skimboard Laser
[amazon box=”B071J97668″ template=”horizontal”]
The Zap Skimboard Laser is an oversized fiberglass and foam board with a scuffed/blemished random design. It differs from the typical wood skimboard in that its solid build materials deliver the fastest and longest rides possible.
Why We Chose the Zap Skimboard Laser:
- Fiberglass and foam composition makes it very light and fun
- High-quality construction
- Great value
These are the best skimboards for kids and beginners seeking a well-built board with great graphics and at a slightly higher price.
8. Atom Skimboard 35-inch
[amazon box=”B005EP05V0″ template=”horizontal”]
The Atom Skimboard 35-inch skimboard is comprised of durable Poplar wood laminate with a super floaty design for increased resilience and performance. It also includes a fun graphic, which helps you stand out on the beach.
Why We Chose the Atom Skimboard 35-inch:
- Comprised of Poplar wood laminate
- Super floaty design
- Includes a fun graphic
These are the best skimboards for kids and beginners seeking a fun wood board with beautiful graphics.
7. Liquid Shredder Wood EVA Deck Skimboard
[amazon box=”B01789Q5K4″ template=”horizontal”]
The Liquid Shredder Wood EVA Deck Skimboard is comprised of strong plywood with a soft foam top for added grip. It comes in various sizes for different surf levels and weights as well as various colors to suit various preferences.
Why We Chose the Liquid Shredder Wood EVA Deck Skimboard:
- Durable plywood construction
- Soft foam top for added traction
- Available in various sizes for different skills and weights
- Available in green and blue
- Great quality for the price
These are the best skimboards for kids and beginners looking for a quality, budget-friendly board to engage in sand skimming only.
6. Waveline Skimboard Professional Series Original Wood Skim Board
[amazon box=”B00YLT67IU” template=”horizontal”]
The Waveline Skimboard Professional Series Original Wood Skim Board is a professionally designed skimboard, which features a modern style and super durable, light materials for added performance. It comes in 3 different sizes to accommodate various weights as well as various colors to suit different tastes.
Why We Chose the Waveline Skimboard Professional Series:
- Professional skimboard
- Super durable and light
- Modern style
- 3 size options
- Various color options
- Reasonable price
These are the best skimboards for beginners who want to progress their skimboard skills.
5. Beach Mall 30 to 40-inch Deluxe Wood SkimBoard w/EVA Traction Pad for X-Grip
[amazon box=”B074S8RL47″ template=”horizontal”]
The Beach Mall 30 to 40-inch Deluxe Wood SkimBoard w/EVA Traction Pad for X-grip is a solid wood skimboard, which features a unique diamond shape for easy control. The tail also provides more speed while the rocker helps prevent nose digging.
Why We Chose the Beach Mall Deluxe Wood SkimBoard:
- Solid wood construction
- Diamond grove shaped top for added grip
- Solid wood core
- Hard protective Resin coated bottom and top
- Available in various colors
- Available in various sizes to suit various weights
These are the best skimboards for both beginner and advanced riders.
4. Lucky Bums Wood Skimboard
[amazon box=”B072JTR4SG” template=”horizontal”]
The Lucky Bums Wood Skimboard is made of durable epoxy plywood with a high-gloss coating to prevent damage. It also includes a slight rocker shape for perfectly skimming flatlands.
Why We Chose the Lucky Bums Wood Skimboard:
- Made of strong epoxy plywood with a high gloss coating for added protection
- Slight rocker shape helps prevent nose digging
- Available in multiple designs
- Descent price
These are the best skimboards for beginners and seasoned surfers alike who are looking for a stable and maneuverable ride across the sand.
3. Sunspecs Rubber Top Wooden Skimboard with Slip-Free Grip
[amazon box=”B00WT2BWW2″ template=”horizontal”]
The Sunspecs Rubber Top Wooden Skimboard with Slip-Free Grip is a solid wood board made of high-quality construction with a rubber top layer for added traction. It is available in multiple sizes for a variety of surfers, and it also comes in a wide range of colors to suit different tastes.
Why We Chose the Sunspecs Skimboard:
- Made of solid, high-quality wood
- Rubber top layer provides added traction and grip
- Available in various sizes for various weights
- Great price
- Available in a wide array of colors
These are the best skimboards for both kid and adult surfers looking to glide along the shore with added traction; however, beginners may need to study up on skimboard techniques for added safety.
2. BPS ‘Gator’ Skimboards
[amazon box=”B01FJ42EVE” template=”horizontal”]
The BPS ‘Gator’ Skimboard is a high-quality plywood board with an epoxy coating to help maintain the board. It also features a ‘Gator Grip’ layer of EVA foam for added grip and traction.
Why We Chose the BPS ‘Gator’ Skimboards:
- Made of durable plywood construction with epoxy coating to prevent damage
- Features a layer of ‘Gator Grip’ of EVA foam for added grip
- Contains a generous nose rocker
- Includes an E-Guide that explains how to do tricks
- Available in various colors
- Great price
These are the best skimboards for beginners, and it is available in different sizes for varied weights.
1. Fedmax Skimboard with High Gloss Coat
[amazon box=”B07DBC58C4″ template=”horizontal”]
The Fedmax Skimboard with High Gloss Coat, which is a well-known brand in the skimboard industry, is comprised of light but sturdy Poplar wood with a high gloss coat that protects against deterioration over time. It also includes a trick and tips guide for beginners.
Why We Chose the Fedmax Skimboard with High Gloss Coat:
- High-quality, low maintenance High gloss coat never deteriorates
- Made of light and sturdy Poplar wood
- Includes Fedmax ultimate tips and tricks guide
These are the best skimboards for beginners and advanced surfers who are looking to improve their gliding skills on the sandy shore.
Recommended read: Before you leave, you may also be interested to read about the best waxes for your board.
Ultimately, the best skimboards are made of durable wood or wood laminate, which helps prevent damage and breakage while surfing the shore. Wood boards also help protect against deterioration.
Some skimboards also contain a unique shape for added performance, a soft top for added grip and traction, and unique graphics to help you stand out on the shore.
Whether you’re in the market for a skimboard as a beginner or you are looking for a skimboard to expand your skills on the beach, simply begin with one of the best boards on this list, and let us know how it fared.
Or if you prefer a particular skimboard that you think others would also enjoy, leave a comment.